- 4 links pork or chicken Italian sausage(or 1+ lbs)
- 2 onions
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 or 2 bell peppers
- 2 cans tomato sauce with basil
- 1-2 cups chicken broth
Recently I was foraging in our house for something to make for dinner. Tired and uninspired yet committed to not going out to grab something. I dug around until I found a few simple ingredients and decided I would make some spaghetti sauce like concoction and eat it over veggies. I started to cook my basic recipe, brown some onions, cook some sausage, chop some peppers when I realized I had half of a head of cauliflower in the fridge. I could mash it or rice it i thought and eat the sauce over it… Or I could take the easy way out and chop it up and cook it in the sauce. After I threw the cauliflower in it looked a little thick so I added some broth and voila!
When I put this dish together I was less than inspired. In the end though, I loved it! I have since made it several more times and find it is fast becoming a weekly staple. It’s great on its own but I like to dish it steaming hot over a bowl of raw kale and let the broth wilt the greens setting up a nutritious and delicious meal.
Italian Sausage Stew
- Chop the onions and peppers
- Heat a large pot over medium heat
- Begin to brown the sauasage(squeezing sausage out of casing if in links)
- As sausage begins to brown toss in the onions and peppers
- When sausage is cooked through pour in tomato sauce
- Toss in Cauliflower that has been chopped in to small pieces
- Add chicken broth
- Cover and cook until cauliflower has softened, probably 12-15 minutes
Pull some random ingredients together… You won’t know what you’ve got until its done.