- 2 large portabello
- 2 large handfuls of baby kale(regular would work too)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 2 TBSP coconut oil (or fat of your choice)
- 1/8" pine nuts
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper if desired
So… every time I take a hiatus from the site I feel bad. I feel like I have somehow failed, and then I feel weird about how to return. Do I just start posting again, do I apologize, do I explain myself???
In reality you probably haven’t even noticed. It was the holidays, we were all busy, etc., etc., etc.
So as I sit here looking at the stack of posts I have been starting and working on over the past several weeks, the dishes I have made and recorded, I don’t know where to begin.
I just decided, I will begin today. They always say, there is no time like the present…
I am on day 7 of the prep phase as I head in to an experimentation with carb backloading per my husbands recommendation. I like sweets, I like carbs, I can’t always control it and frankly don’t even want to anymore. This is who i am, at least right now. I like to eat my treats, paleo as they may be, at night. Low carb/no carb during the day is not an issue for me, after the kids are in bed however… all bets are off. more on this later…
So today, day 7, of less than 30 carbs a day. I am hungry, ravenous really. I decided to bolster my lunch of carrot soup and tuna filets with jalapenos in olive oil with a humongous stuffed portabello mushroom. More food, more veggies, sounded good to me… and it was:)
This ended up being a vegetarian friendly recipe but could easily be a main dish for carnivores if you added bacon, ground meat, etc. I did start to pull out some bacon to put in mine but… I’ve been eating a lot of bacon this week so I decided once a day was enough.
Kale Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- wash mushrooms and remove stems
- dice stems
- heat a large skillet over medium heat
- sautee garlic and mushroom stems for 2-3 minutes
- add tomatoes and sautee for an additional minute
- toss in kale and cook until wilted
- sprinkle in pine nuts
- place mushroom caps on a baking sheets and load with stuffing mix from skillet
- pour balsamic in to skillet and reduce over high heat for a few minutes- it will visibly thicken.
- Pour balsamic over mushrooms
- bake for 20 minutes